If you have never had injectables like Botox and Juvederm, they might seem intimidating or just a mystery! We want to put all of the information out there to make sure our clients know what these procedures entail and how they could work for you!
1. What is Botox? Botox is a natural purified protein produced by Clostridium botulinum bacterium.
2. How does Botox work? It blocks the nerve to muscle signals that would typically tell your facial muscles to contract. Since the injected muscles are not able to move, the wrinkles around those muscles soften. Botox is an anti-wrinkle treatment for forehead lines, lines around the eye, and frown lines.
3. How long does Botox take? What is the recovery procedure? It takes about ten to twenty minutes. No recovery time is needed since it is a non-surgical facelift. You can go back to your normal routine afterwards.
4. Does a Botox injection hurt? Some patients feel minor discomfort from the injection. However, the needle used is very tiny and most patients feel very little or no pain.
5. Does Botox cause botulism? No. It would take significant amounts of Botox to cause botulism- often 100 times more than the typical dosage.
6. How long will it take to notice a difference after treatment? About three days after treatment you will see improvement in facial wrinkles, frown lines and crow’s feet.
7. Is there any pre-treatment? You do not need to take any medications with aspirin, ibuprofen and/or Vitamin E for one week prior to treatment. These decrease the bruising at the injection site.
8. Is there any post-treatment? You will need to keep your head up for four hours and not exercise for 24 hours, but that’s it!
9. What are the side effects? Side effects are typically very minimal and may include temporary bruising, headaches, nausea, temporary eyelid droop, and respiratory infection or flu like syndrome. Any headaches that may occur typically go away after one to two days. Any eyelid drooping that occurs usually goes away after three weeks. It’s caused by Botox movement within the muscles- so avoid rubbing the injected areas for at least 12 hours.
10. How long do the benefits last? The effects of Botox can be seen for three to six months after treatment. Lines and wrinkles will reappear as the nerve to muscle signals return and the muscles start contracting again. As the muscle memory is trained to relax, the lines can appear less severe when they reappear.
11. Are injections safe for everyone? Those who are breastfeeding or have a neurological disease should not receive injections. We recommend a consultation with a trained and experienced staff member, since Botox is not effective on all wrinkles.
12. How much does Botox cost? Costs vary by the type and number of treatments purchased. You can find our rates on our website.
13. Will my insurance pay for it? Insurance coverage varies, depending on medical necessity of the condition. Most insurance does not cover Botox when it is used for cosmetic procedures, but check with your insurance carrier for details.